Working from home comes with perks that you won’t get at a traditional 9 to 5 office job.
You can avoid a long commute and rush hour traffic, stay in your pajamas all day, and even throw in a load of laundry on a Tuesday morning.
If the freedom and flexibility of working from home excites you, you may be wondering how you can find a legitimate work-from-home job.
FlexJobs is an online job board designed for people in search of a great work-from-home opportunities.
What is FlexJobs?
FlexJobs is a career website that specializes in telecommuting, flexible, freelance, and part-time job opportunities. It was founded in 2007 after Sara Sutton Fell, a working mother who wanted more flexibility in her career, realized how difficult it was to find legitimate, flexible jobs.
Since its debut over a decade ago, 3.8 million people have used FlexJobs to find flexible jobs.
Is FlexJobs Legit and Safe to Use?
FlexJobs is a legitimate job board just like CareerBuilder or Monster. The only difference between FlexJobs and these other sites is that FlexJobs focuses on flexible positions that allow people to choose when they start and stop working.
In a flexible position, you don’t have to work traditional 8 to 5 business hours if you don’t want to. You can work from 6 to 2, on the weekends, or whatever times align best with your schedule.
Since FlexJobs hand screens every job before they post it, you don’t have to worry about any scams. FlexJobs does the heavy lifting for you so you can apply to flexible job opportunities with confidence.
It may be a great resource if you are a parent hoping to have more availability for your kids and family, a freelancer in search of more clients and projects, or someone who lives in a rural area and has a difficult time finding employment.
FlexJobs can also benefit you if you simply like the idea of being able to earn money from the comfort of your own home.
How Does FlexJobs Work?
FlexJobs partners with thousands of companies who post flexible jobs directly to its site. There’s a team of researchers who dig through hundreds of job resources like employer sites, industry blogs, and other job boards to find open, flexible positions.
Whenever they find a job that seems promising, they screen it further and only post it on FlexJobs if it’s legitimate. The screening process involves a trained researcher researching the company and making sure that the job rigorous criteria.
Each job on FlexJobs is posted with a job summary written by its staff as well as company description and headquarters. It also includes a direct way for users to apply to the job.
Although you do have to pay to use FlexJobs, the fee can be well worth it as the site takes the time and guesswork out of finding legitimate flexible jobs and keeps the scammers away.
- No scams. Since FlexJobs vets every job before they post it to ensure it’s legitimate, there are no scams on the site. This is a huge perk as many flexible positions you may find on the internet are scams.
- Great sorting options. FlexJobs offers a number of filtering options so you can refine your search. You can search for jobs with certain keywords or search by category, career level, U.S. location, and work schedule.
- Money-back guarantee. If you don’t like FlexJobs for any reason, you can request a refund within 30 days of when you created or renewed your account. With this money-back guarantee, you have nothing to lose.
- Time savings. Looking for any type of job, including a flexible, work-from-home position can be time consuming. FlexJobs can save you hours on your job search because it scours various company sites, job boards, blogs, and other online resources and publishes them all in one place, giving you a central hub for job opportunities.
- Variety of jobs. FlexJobs has over 50 job categories as well as jobs that range from entry-level to executive, and time commitment from freelance to full-time.
- No ads. When browsing FlexJobs, you won’t see any distracting ads that get in the way of your job search.
- Fee. FlexJobs is not free so you will have to pay to apply for jobs through the site.
- Not all work-from-home options. While many jobs that FlexJobs posts are 100% work-from-home opportunities, some aren’t. The site also features jobs that allow you to work-from-home some of the time as well as jobs that offer a work-from-home option.
- Jobs are listed on other sites. Some of the jobs you’ll find on FlexJobs can also be found in other places around the internet so the postings aren’t exclusive to members.
- Many IT or tech-related jobs. You’ll notice that many listings on FlexJobs are information technology (IT) or tech-related. This may be a drawback if this industry is not your strength.
- Salaries are rarely posted. Since most employers don’t include salary information upfront with their job postings, it’s hard to know what a job pays until you actually apply for it and go through the interview process.
Since FlexJobs knows that there are countless too-good-to-be-true jobs and scams out there, its trained researchers make it a priority to hand-screen jobs. They individually vet each and every job posting to make sure that it is legitimate, professional, and flexible. Any job that does not meet this criteria or has been eliminated or expired is removed.
By hand-screening its jobs, FlexJobs can offer you a faster, easier, and safer job search experience. It can save you from some of the common frustrations that come with looking for a work-from-home opportunity.
While FlexJobs is known for its fully vetted and job postings, the site also offers a number of job resources you may find useful. As a FlexJobs member, you’ll get access to career articles, job search checklists, 170 expert skills tests, and videos that show you how to improve your resume.
For an additional fee, you can also sign up for one-on-one career coaching or resume review. FlexJobs hires expert career coaches that can answer any questions you may have about your resume, how to thrive in a remote position, and more.
FlexJobs aims to make your flexible job search affordable by offering discounts on over sixty products and services that can help your job search and improve your lifestyle. It partners with companies like Dell, TurboTax, Sittercity, Audible, and WeWork to save you 10 to 50% off on a wide variety of purchases.
These great deals can help offset the cost of becoming a FlexJobs member.
If you decide to join FlexJobs, you’ll be able to choose from these three membership options.
- 1 month for $14.95: This membership may make sense if you’re looking for the most affordable way to join FlexJobs and believe your job search will be fairly short.
- 3 months for $29.95: If you’d like to give yourself a realistic timeline to find a work-from-home job, this option may be the way to go.
- 1 year for $49.95: If you’re interested in freelance opportunities or think your job search will take you more than 3 months, the year-long membership is a good choice.
Since you can get a refund within 30 days from the day you sign up for FlexJobs, you can try it risk-free. There are also FlexJobs promo codes available to make it even more cost-effective. To find those, perform a simple search for “FlexJobs coupons.”
Types of Jobs Available on FlexJobs
There are over 50 different categories on FlexJobs so you are likely to find a category or several that pique your interest and match your experience.
Data entry can be a great work-from-home job if you’re efficient and don’t mind work that’s somewhat repetitive. If you land a data entry job through FlexJobs, you’ll likely be responsible for entering data into a computer or another type of secure file system.
A data entry job may include other types of clerical activities as well.
If you have a keen eye for spelling and grammar mistakes and consider yourself a strong writer, you may be a good fit for a remote editing job. With a FlexJobs editing job, you’ll review content and make it easier for readers to understand.
You may also add captions, photos, graphs, and tables to make the content more compelling.
Fashion and Beauty
Are you a fashionista or beauty junkie? If so, a work-from-home job in the fashion and beauty industry may be the way to go. FlexJobs posts jobs in the clothing, accessories, hair, makeup, and skincare industries that can give you the chance to test, develop, and promote different consumer products.
Marketing offers opportunities in almost every industry. With a marketing job, you’ll promote products and services through various techniques such as public relations, digital marketing, and advertising.
Some examples of the marketing positions you may find on FlexJobs include business development manager, account executive, sales manager, and consultant.
If you’re a fast, detail-oriented typer, you may want to consider a transcription job. You’ll listen to recorded audio and type it to text format for clients like hospitals and law firms. With a transcription job, you can expect to get paid per audio hour, meaning the amount you earn will be based on a set rate for one hour of transcribed audio.
Some transcription positions you may find on FlexJobs may be for an electronic data processor, typist, and keypunch technician.
Since almost every business has a website, web design is in high demand. If you have what it takes to design professional, responsive websites for clients in various industries, you can thrive in a work-from-home web design position.
Web designers on FlexJobs are often called internet developers, graphic designers, web and internet Artists, and Photoshop experts.
If you speak another language, why not use this skill to make money at home? FlexJobs offers a variety of jobs for bilingual professionals. Whether you’re fluent in Spanish, French, Chinese, or any other language, you may be able to find a work-from-home job as a translator, interpreter, customer service representative, or quality rater.
Since fluency in a second language is a unique skill, there is likely less competition for bilingual jobs on FlexJobs than jobs in other categories.
Travel & Hospitality
Hospitality or travel jobs may be perfect for you if you love the idea of helping others visit new places and experience new cultures. FlexJobs often posts jobs like remote travel agents, travel support specialists, and hospitality managers.
There are also some travel-related, remote positions that can give you the opportunity to work with international clients. Who knows, maybe you’ll get lucky and score some travel perks if you land one of these jobs.
Animals and Wildlife
Believe it or not, FlexJobs does post work-from-home job opportunities related to animals and wildlife. If you’re passionate about the animal and wildlife industry, you may be able to get a job working for a veterinary clinic, cruelty prevention agency, animal protection organization, wildlife agency, or even a zoo.
FlexJobs is Worth a Shot
If your goal is to find a legitimate, professional freelance job, definitely consider joining FlexJobs. It can simplify your work-from-home job search and, if you’re not satisfied, you can get your money back.
Since FlexJobs may be the answer to the freedom and flexibility you’re looking for, it’s worth a try.